Thursday 16 October 2014

RIP David Te Hau Bennett 1.6.1970 - 6.10.2014

Dave was a workmate, friend and musical brother. He worked as a postie in the Kapiti delivery branch and he was a great colleague. Always helpful, he knew the job well. Not only was he experienced as a postie but he also knew the ins and outs of the inside admin work. Dave was always friendly and was always having conversations with the people at work about various subjects - music, sports, you name it.
I trained Dave on a run at work and we had a great day talking about music as he was a musician like myself. I emailed him a link to my Facebook page about my band "Everything That Flies" a while ago and he was very impressed. He loved the "80's" style of music and production. He also sent me MP3's of some of his music - excellent stuff. He was multi-talented; he played guitar, bass, keyboards and he also did all his own vocals as well as programming the drums! A genius, and a great song writer. His music is online under the name White Island Music.
Sadly and inexplicably Dave took his own life on the 6th of October 2014. I know he had some upsetting things happening in his life but I never realized that they were so bad that dying was the only way out he could see. I was completely shocked when our branch manager announced what had happened and I am still in shock now. I will never understand why Dave chose to take his own life and I will always be in shock about his death. Dave was only 44 years old and had 2 young sons - Taylor & Brady. I feel for them having to grow up without their father and knowing how he died. They will always wonder why.
If you can read this Dave I have to say that I am angry as well as sad at your passing - do you realize the hole you have left in our lives? Why couldn't you have thought about your boys and what it would do to them? You were too young Dave, there are places you could have gone to for help. Your friends at work could have helped if we'd have known you were feeling so down. I'll always miss you Dave and I wish you would have had more strength to ask for help in your time of need. RIP and peace music brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment